Résumé of Nikki Vrtis
On this page:
On other pages:
- Over two decades of publishing experience with a variety of subjects and forms, such as general interest, religion, fiction, educational texts, games, magazines, newsletters, advertisements, catalogs, Web sites, and more.
- Edited or proofread more than 200 projects.
- Indexed over 170 books.
- More than two dozen published writing contributions, ranging in length from about 100 words of catalog copy to over 40,000 words for books.
- Primary or assistant graphic designer and layout artist of over 160 projects, including book interiors, book covers, newsletters, advertisements, and Web pages. Projects are primarily one-color, with occasional two- and four-color work.
- Project management experience includes concept formation, packaging decisions, staff assignments, free-lancer and printer contracting, and publication development.
- Other publishing experience includes research, copyfitting, style-guide creation, scanning, image manipulation, PDF creation and manipulation, and preparation of files for the printer.
- Own and proficient in various desktop publishing and word processing programs, including InDesign, QuarkXpress, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Word, and others.
- Comfortable with both Macintosh and Windows environments.
- Experienced working as a free-lancer and in an office.
- Willing to take on tasks outside of job focus in order to get a project completed.
Back to top.
Editorial and Production Support, various companies
November 1996 to present.
- Editing, proofreading, indexing, writing, image manipulation, layout, PDF creation and manipulation, and Web-site updating.
- Projects include books, advertisements, and sales flyers, including over 150 assignments in six years for Steve Jackson Games.
- Contract, telecommuting projects.
Graphics Assistant, VWR International
November 1996 to May 2006, West Chester, Penn.
- Assisted with the layout of scientific products catalogs and advertisements.
- Temporary full-time position with some overtime; through Aerotek (agency).
Editor, Graphic Designer, Contributor, Purgatory Publishing Inc./West End Games imprint
November 1996 to August 2005, Downingtown, Penn.
- Wrote, edited, copyfitted, formatted, proofread, indexed, or laid out over two dozen roleplaying-game projects, including books, promotional material, and Web-site content.
- Coordinated various stages of projects, from conception through printing.
- Contracted and supervised free-lance writers, proofreaders, and artists.
- Free-lance telecommuting to on-site permanent full-time position.
Editor, Systems Manager, Nighthawk Design
December 1993 to February 1998, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Edited, proofread, indexed, or laid out manuscripts from university presses, trade publishers, and regional publishers.
- Temporary part-time to permanent full-time position.
Desktop Publisher, Cornerstone Publications Inc.
September to October 1993, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Edited copy for and assisted in the design and layout of two booklets, one for Ottawa County, Michigan, and one for the Greater Grand Rapids Home Builders Association Remodelors Parade.
- Free-lance on-site position.
Writer, Assistant Copy Editor, Gale Group
May to June 1993, Farmington, Mich.
- Wrote or copyedited science articles for the Environmental Encyclopedia.
- Free-lance telecommuting position.
Co-editor, Columnist, The Spectra (student newspaper)
January 1990 to April 1993, Adrian, Mich.
- Laid out the newspaper and wrote a science column and other articles.
- Seasonal part-time position.
Back to top.
Customer Service Representative, Home Design Products
August 2006, Carmel, Ind. Temporary full-time position; through Today's Staffing (agency).
Administrative Assistant, Community Care Behavioral Health Organization
June to July 2006, Exton, Penn. Temporary full-time position; through Aerotek (agency).
Receptionist, Associates for Women's Medicine
September 2005, Exton, Penn. Temporary full-time position; through ICS Group (agency).
Team Leader, Document Analyst, Compulit, Inc.
November 1993 to May 1995, Grand Rapids, Mich. Temporary full-time to permanent full-time position.
Public Relations Intern, Bixby Medical Center
January to April 1993, Adrian, Mich. Temporary part-time position.
Back to top.
- Bachelor of Arts, English/Creative Writing and Natural Science. Siena Heights College, Adrian, Mich., May 1993. GPA: 3.88; major GPA: 3.90. Numerous honors, awards, and activities.
- Continuing education courses in QuarkXpress 3.32, Macromedia Freehand 5.5, and Photoshop 3.0. Kendall College of Art and Design, Grand Rapids, Mich., Winter 1996.
- Course in computer animation. Grand Rapids Community College, Grand Rapids, Mich., Fall 1997.
- Continuing education course in technical writing. DARC, Downingtown, Penn., Summer 2005.
Back to top.
- Create and teach weekly lesson plans for a class of elementary-school students.
- Designed Web sites for three parishes.
- Edited and designed a weekly bulletin for a local parish.
- Edited, designed, and contributed to a newsletter for a youth group.
- Assisted with editing a computer club newsletter.
Back to top.